It's that time of year

It's the time of year when everyone seems to look back at the past twelve months, and quite often attempts to draw a line in the temporal sand, step over it and make their lives better.

I doubt, no matter how long I live, that I'll ever have a perfect year.  That's probably true for most of us.  Nobody is ever doing to look back at their year and name all the things which went too well and resolve to make them worse, so it's only natural that we hear so many people talking about how "bad" the past year was, and how they will move on in 2016.

My 2015 hasn't been bad.  I've had worse years and I've had better.  I had an amazing holiday which I doubt I'll ever repeat in either the sense of retracing the route nor in scale.  Yet, I find myself about to leave a job which I've enjoyed for the past four years.  I've not lost the weight I had planned to lose in 2015, but I have vastly improved my French.

I've certainly not written in here as often as I had planned.

But yet I head into 2016 without resolutions.  I've always found that priorities work better for me than arbitrary goals, and so I head into 2016 with priorities rather than resolutions.

In 2015, I went through the job interview process for the first time in a while.  It's a strange process, and probably going to be the catalyst for a few entries in here.  Job interviewing has also brought me back into contact with recruiters - now there's a profession with a bad name. Another few entries lurking in that thought too, I think.

But mostly I head into 2016 positively.  My house isn't flooded. My city didn't suffer terrible terrorist atrocities.  I have a roof over my head and enough food to eat in the fridge.  I don't feel that my best option in life is to take a potentially life-threatening journey across the sea only to find myself demonised by many people when I get there.  My 2015 wasn't perfect, but I'm not going to complain.


Popular posts from this blog

Dealing with the after life

A war of words

A book I didn’t like