I don't feel like dancing

I really dislike weddings.  Well maybe that's a little unfair.  I guess I really dislike wedding receptions.  And it's all about the dancing.

You see the thing is I don't enjoy dancing.  I know a lot of people have an awkwardness about dancing, and need some encouragement - but with me that's not the case - I simply don't like doing it.  Yet at weddings there seems to be this desire to get everyone "on the dancefloor" even if they'd really rather be doing something else - like sitting and talking to people or just sitting enjoying the music.

But no, people hover in packs finding those who've not ventured onto the dance floor and start off by trying to encourage them, then cajoling them and eventually trying to physically drag them onto the dance floor.  And I don't understand it?  Why am I allowed not to go on the dancefloor if I don't want to?  I'm not unhappy to miss out on the dancing, I'm not crying into my glass of bubbly wishing I could summon up the courage to go out onto the floor and throw some shapes.  Quite the contrary, I'm sitting there quite enjoying myself and could do without the the hassle.

And so I hate it.  At every wedding reception I spend the majority of my time trying to fend off people who are trying to encourage me to dance.  Which part of "no" do they not understand?  I don't even dance when I'm totally alone in the house listening to music - it's just not something I ever do.

So, I am generally unhappy at weddings - but that's not because I'm there wishing I could get on the dancefloor and just wanting someone to ask - it's because I'm sick and tired of having to go and find somewhere outside the main area - or go for a walk in the garden - or just get sterner and sterner with my "no".  Just leave alone.  If you want to dance, then great. But I don't.  Just accept it.

Rant over.

Popular posts from this blog

Dealing with the after life

A war of words

A book I didn’t like