Talent? Where?

Over the past couple of weeks, I've watched a few snippets of "The Voice".  The idea is that this is another talent show, but that people are judged on their voice alone without any consideration of their background or appearance.

The concept sounds good.  Interesting at least. But every snippet I saw was awful.  Once the first selection of contestants had been made the second round was a sing off.  The idea being that contestants sing the same song, in pairs, and try to out-sing each other.  With professionals that could be bad enough, but with a group of people without stage experience whose idea of strong singing is to shout the highest note you can for as long as possible, it descended pretty quickly into a bellow-a-thon.

So, I thought I'd watch the first live show just in case it got better. It didn't.  One performance (by someone called Jazz) was OK, although not really my kind of thing.  The others were shouty, out of tune and in a few cases, completely out of time, too.

Don't get me wrong - I know singing isn't easy.  But everyone who made it through the first two rounds of a singing competition should be able to sing in time, and preferably in tune.  The whole thing was awful, absolutely awful.

But even worse was the group performance given by the coaches at the beginning. It seemed incredibly under-rehearsed, if it'd been rehearsed at all.

Needless to say, I shalln't be putting myself through watching it again.  Shame really, as it could've been so good.

Popular posts from this blog

Dealing with the after life

A war of words

A book I didn’t like