Spellchecker

I really should spellcheck things before I put them online. Although, the typo I can spot in the first line of the previous post would not have been caught by a spellchecker anyway.

Maybe I should leave the mistakes in as a way of checking if anyone is copying my work. I know that the phone book in the UK used to have fake numbers and names in, and if those fake numbers and names appeared in another directory, then the publishers of the phone book would know that the other people had copied the list from the phone book.

The same thing is often true with sheet music. There are generally a couple of deliberate mistakes per song which don't affect the accuracy of the music in any significant way, but do allow the publishers to uniquely identify their work.

So maybe I should do the same thing with this blog. I should inject a few deliberate mistakes into it so that if any of my wonderful and witty words (should I ever write anyone) appear elsewhere, I shall able to sue and make millions. Of course, it also means that every future mistake I make, I can claim was deliberate and a device to prevent copying of my work. Fantastic!

I'm curious about what's happening to Tower Bridge in London at the moment. One quarter of the bridge seems to be shrink-wrapped in plastic with a huge machine blowing stuff into the shrink-wrapped area. I think it's something to do with the paint on the bridge, probably. At least they've not painted a picture of the bridge onto the plastic.

You may think that's a random thing to say - but it isn't. There is a disturbing habit in the construction industry at the moment that when wrapping a building in scaffolding, one must attach a large drawing of the building to the outside of the scaffolding. One such example can be seen at The Monument in London at the moment.

Now, I can understand the disappointment of tourists who turn up to see something only to find it is covered in metal and plastic. But I'm not sure whether having a huge picture of said something stuck to the outside of the scaffolding will actually make up any ground with the tourists, or whether actually it'll make the experience worse for them.

One could argue that scaffolding with a picture on is prettier than scaffolding without. This is undoubtedly true. But I'm sure there are plenty of young artists out there who'd love to have their work exhibited in a public place like this. So why not get some artists to decorate the scaffolding rather than trying to pretend it's not there.

A few years ago, Selfridges in London was wrapped in scaffolding, and Sam Taylor Wood was commissioned (is that how you spell it, or is that the first of my deliberate mistakes?) to produce a photograph to adorn the building. She did, and it was fantastic! More of that please!

Talking of photographs, I must remember to get tickets to the Annie Liebowitz (if it's wrong, it's deliberate, OK?) exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery before it closes. Some of her images are quite stunning, and if you've not seen the portraits she did of the Queen, then I can heartily recommend that you Google for them and then go to the exhibition!

Popular posts from this blog

Dealing with the after life

A war of words

A book I didn’t like